v5.2 Release Notes
firstname.lastname@example.org release (November 2022 #3)
This is an out of band release due to the removal of the Potrace library in Gatsby. We’ll continue with our biweekly schedule as normal.
Also check out notable bugfixes.
Bleeding Edge: Want to try new features as soon as possible? Install
gatsby@next and let us know if you have any issues.
Removal of Potrace
Due to licensing requirements, we are removing the Potrace library usage from Gatsby. Potrace is used in Gatsby’s image transformations, specifically for creating a SVG placeholder. For example, in
gatsby-plugin-image you were able to use it with
These are the affected libraries/plugins:
There will be no API-breaking changes, your builds will continue to work. However, whenever you use the
tracedSvg feature Gatsby automatically falls back to the default placeholder style now. In most instances this is
DOMINANT_COLOR. You’ll see a detailed warning message in your CLI about this, too.
If you’d like to know more or have any questions, head over to our Github Discussion.
Notable bugfixes & improvements
MediaItem.excludeFieldNames/ auto exclude interface types that have no fields, via PR #37062
proxyUrlin addition to baseUrl to allow using CDN, API gateway, etc., via PR #36819
gatsby-cli: We changed our error messages a little bit. You should see a more detailed
typebeside the error ID now
lengthon objects, via PR #34253
A big Thank You to our community who contributed to this release 💜
- MichaelDeBoey: tests: Update pluginOptionsSchema tests PR #27904
- sampittko: docs: add onCreateNode params and example PR #27503
- benomatis: fix(gatsby-plugin-google-gtag): correct script to match google’s current PR #36993
- vse-volod: chore(docs): Update “Working with Images in Markdown” PR #34621
- Nischal2015: chore(docs): add missing argument PR #37063
- aaronadamsCA: chore(gatsby-plugin-image): Add
- hexpunk: fix(gatsby-remark-graphviz) Fix attribute application PR #36391
- PeterDekkers: chore(gatsby-plugin-sitemap): Clarify filterPages’ reliance on the excludes array PR #37065
- aryans1319: chore(docs): Example
@linkdirective with array (by elemMatch) PR #36632
- Vacilando: feat(gatsby-source-drupal): Provide proxyUrl in addition to baseUrl to allow using CDN, API gateway, etc. PR #36819
- iChenLei: fix(gatsby): Sanitize
lengthon objects PR #34253
- DarthFloopy: chore(gatsby-source-contentful): Add note about RichTextField to README PR #36102