v3.6 Release Notes
firstname.lastname@example.org release (May 2021 #2)
Key highlights of this release:
- Functions - now supported in Plugins and Themes! Multiple performance and DX improvements.
- Preview Status Indicator - Design upgrade and added functionality.
Also check out notable bugfixes.
Bleeding Edge: Want to try new features as soon as possible? Install
gatsby@next and let us know
if you have any issues.
This is a feature-packed release for Functions! Since Gatsby v3.4 you can enable them as a flag in your
gatsby-config.js (learn more in the discussion).
Gatsby plugins (and thus also Gatsby themes) can ship serverless functions now (PR #31466). Place them inside
src/api/%pluginName%/ and your users will be able to call them at
/api/%pluginName%/ — this unlocks powerful plug-and-play opportunities like e-commerce themes that ship with frontend and backend logic. We’re eager to see in the discussion what you’re building.
Functions also support uploading files as part of forms with this release (PR #31470). You can access the data at
Last but not least we shipped multiple performance & DX improvements to Functions. We disabled minifaction of functions to speed up the build, enabled webpack 5
filesystem caching, and lazily compile functions in development to ensure a fast bootstrap.
Preview Status Indicator
With the latest release, we introduce our newest design for the preview status indicator. As with the previous indicator, you will need the latest version of
gatsby-plugin-gatsby-cloud to be installed and configured in your
This indicator will show up on your previews hosted on Gatsby Cloud. There are 4 interactable states to alert to the user the state of their preview builds as well as giving more context to when things succeed or go wrong.
This only works with our next gen preview which is currently in the middle of being rolled out to all sites.
Notable bugfixes & improvements
searchAndReplacefeature, via PR #31091.
gatsby-plugin-sitemap: Fixes a bug where sitemaps were being written in a sub-directory but the sitemap index didn’t contain that sub-directory, via PR #31184. Also remove
reporter.verbosecalls that would spam your Gatsby Cloud logs, via PR #31448.
gatsby-source-drupal: Add toggleable multilingual support by prefixing nodes with their langcode, via PR #26720.
gatsby-plugin-image: Remove extra “margin” on
CONSTRAINEDimages, via PR #31497.
gatsby-source-contentful: Use correct parameter for “focus” & fix dominant color on cropped images, via PR #31492.
A big Thank You to our community who contributed to this release 💜
- hoobdeebla: fix(tests): update cheerio snapshots PR #31298
- lukashass: chore(gatsby-plugin-sitemap): fix typos PR #31351
- angeloashmore: fix(gatsby-plugin-page-creator): support index routes when using the File System Route API PR #31339
- DaleSeo: chore(docs): Fix missing closing code fence PR #31404
- camro: Update typo in docs PR #31405
- ascorbic: fix(gatsby-cli): Switch host env to
GATSBY_prefix PR #31426
- saintmalik: chore(docs): Update “choosing a CMS” PR #31429
- Hahlh: chore(gatsby-plugin-google-gtag): Fix typo PR #31431
- moonmeister: fix(gatsby-plugin-sitemap): Sitemap path bug PR #31184
- NickBarreto: chore(docs): Fixing JSON in configuration options PR #31460
- smurrayatwork: Fixes a bug related to filters appended onto next links for gatsby-source-drupal. PR #31350
- Auspicus: feat(gatsby-source-drupal): Add toggleable multilingual support by prefixing nodes with their langcode PR #26720
- klaasvw: Fixes filenames imported from Drupal via jsonapi are saved URL encoded. PR #31425
- axe312ger: update Contentful e2e test snapshots PR #31073
- jgosmann: fix(gatsby-transformer-sharp): Dereference symlinks when copying files PR #31511
- ekathuria: chore(docs): Update adding-search PR #31512