v3.5 Release Notes
v3.5 (May 2021 #1)
firstname.lastname@example.org release (May 2021 #1)
Key highlights of this release:
- Performance improvements - up to 20% faster CLI startup, up to 20% faster query running, 70% speedup to creating pages
gatsby-graphql-source-toolkitv2 - Compatibility with Gatsby v3
- New SSR in Develop overlay - the experimental SSR in Develop feature got a new overlay
- Documentation updates - new docs: Functions, CSS, and our image plugins
Also check out notable bugfixes.
Bleeding Edge: Want to try new features as soon as possible? Install
gatsby@next and let us know
if you have any issues.
We’re always working hard on making Gatsby faster. In this release we shipped three improvements:
- Speedup CLI startup by lazily requiring some modules. PR #31134
- Create page object &
SitePagenode in same action creator. In our synthetic create-pages benchmark (for 100K pages) this reduced the
createPagesactivity from 16s to 4.5s (~70% drop) and peak RSS memory from 1.4gb to 0.7gb (~50% drop). PR #31104
- Up to ~20% improvement to running queries by switching to a faster queue library (fastq). The improvements are most noticible if you use the fastest query filters (e.g.
eqfilter on the
idproperty) and don’t do CPU intensive work in query running e.g. process markdown or MDX. PR #31269
gatsby-graphql-source-toolkit simplifies data sourcing from remote GraphQL APIs into Gatsby. While it’s not a source plugin by itself, it helps you writing custom GraphQL source plugins by providing a set of convenience tools and conventions. Craft CMS or GraphCMS use it for their source plugins.
The bump to a new major version ensures compatibility with
gatsby@^3.0.0. No breaking changes were in this release.
Previously the error overlay (when the page didn’t successfully SSR) consisted out of a HTML page served by express. But that wasn’t tied into our already existing Fast Refresh overlay we use throughout Gatsby. The information on the page stays the same but it now has the look & feel of all our other errors:
- New Functions docs — PR #31066
- New top-level CSS doc - PR #31138
- Architecture of Gatsby’s image plugins - PR #31096
- If you’re maintaining a plugin, please subscribe to this GitHub discussion to receive information about changes that may require updates to the plugins you maintain
- Fix support of theme shadowing in monorepo PR #30435
- Fix scroll restoration for layout components PR #26861
gatsby-plugin-mdx: make HMR work again for MDX PR #31288
gatsby-plugin-preact: enable error-overlay PR #30613
gatsby-plugin-sitemap: allow writing sitemap to the root of the public folder PR #31130
gatsby-transformer-remark: restore support for footnotes PR #31019
ImageDataLikeas an exported type of
- Update the public plugin API types PR #30819
A big Thank You to our community who contributed to this release 💜