v3.10 Release Notes
firstname.lastname@example.org release (July 2021 #2)
Key highlights of this release:
- Experimental: Parallel Query Running - Improves time it takes to run queries during gatsby build
- Experimental: webpack persistent caching for
gatsby develop- significantly speed up start of webpack server
Also check out notable bugfixes.
Bleeding Edge: Want to try new features as soon as possible? Install
gatsby@next and let us know
if you have any issues.
Gatsby’s build process is composed of multiple steps (see our documentation for more details) and one step that will increase in time with more and more pages/nodes is query running. You’re seeing this step as
run static queries and
run page queries in your build log.
This step currently only runs in a singular process and the goal of Parallel Query Running is to spread out the work to multiple processes to better utilize available cores & memory. We’re using
gatsby-worker (highly inspired by
lmdb-store to accomplish this. In Gatsby v3.7 we’ve added support for LMDB in Gatsby and are now leveraging this new data storage option to enable communication between the main process and the workers.
Depending on the type of queries you use you will see dramatic improvements in performance. You can try out different types of queries (and expected results) with the query-filters-sort benchmark. Toggle the feature flag for a before/after comparison.
Here are two examples:
GATSBY_CPU_COUNT=5 NUM_NODES=100000 NUM_PAGES=10000 FILTER=eq-uniq TEXT=1.
run page queries - 3.787s - 10001/10001 2641.07/s
run queries in workers - 3.445s - 10001/10001 2903.34/s
- For the already fast
eqfilters you will see smaller improvements compared to the slower filters like…
GATSBY_CPU_COUNT=5 NUM_NODES=10000 NUM_PAGES=10000 FILTER=gt TEXT=1:
run page queries - 41.832s - 10001/10001 239.07/s
run queries in workers - 15.072s - 10001/10001 663.57/s
- Huge improvements for more complex queries or filters that are not “Fast Filters”
To try it out in your own site, please make sure that you’re using Node v14.10 or later. Install
lmdb-store as a dependency:
Then enable the config flag in your
Please share your results, findings, and feedback in the PQR GitHub Discussion. You’ll also be able to read about known/common pitfalls there and possible solutions.
After rolling out webpack 5 persistent caching for production builds in Gatsby v3.8 we’re now beginning the gradual rollout of it for
gatsby develop. It greatly improves the startup time of the development server.
To use it, add a flag to your
If you’re already using the
FAST_DEV flag you’ll be using it automatically once you update to Gatsby v3.10. Please share your feedback in the GitHub Discussion.
postcssto 8.3.5 to remove deprecation warning on Node v16.
hydrateRoot. Please note, this only applies if you use React 18 in Gatsby.
gatsby-source-wordpress: Check preview URL earlier and give better feedback, via PR #32251.
window.locationto final URL of redirect and after the service worker updated, via PR #32334 and PR #32323.
gatsby: Avoid the
UNHANDLED REJECTION write EPIPEerror when using
Ctrl + C, via PR #32311 and PR #32356.
gatsby: When a
gatsby buildfails on e.g. missing data it now prints the
page-data.jsonfile for this page to give more context on what’s missing, via PR #32301.
gatsby-source-contentful: Support image corner radius from Image API, via PR #32333.
metadata.tagsproperty, via PR #31746.
A big Thank You to our community who contributed to this release 💜
- RapTho: Wrong post ids in example author name filter PR #32191
- anselm94: chore(docs): Update Storybook guide to v6 PR #31653
- SarthakC: fix: added missing parentheses in creating a source plugin tutorial PR #32259
- emmanuelgautier: fix(gatsby-plugin-gtag): replace google analytics domain with google tag manager PR #31036
- nellaparedes: fix(gatsby): Pass search/hash to location after swUpdated PR #32323
- karlhorky: Avoid UNHANDLED REJECTION error on ctrl-C PR #32311
- weronikadominiak: docs(contributing): update docs with info about translations being on hold (#31883) PR #32328
- cabutler10: chore(docs): Fix typo in apollo/client npm package name PR #32345
- ezeYaniv: chore(docs): Update building-a-theme to latest Theme UI PR #32357