Now Hiring: Senior Product Manager
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager to define and execute the strategic vision for the Gatsby’s Cloud experience.
This job posting has closed.
Named as a Rising Star on the 2019 Forbes 100 Cloud List, Gatsby has quickly grown to be one of the biggest and most exciting open source projects on the web. It aims to build a high-performance, fun to use, accessible, and astonishingly flexible presentation layer for any data source.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include transparency (we work in public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
Type of work: Full time
Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+0)
Gatsby’s newest product, Gatsby Cloud, will address the high-demand for more robust features necessary for complex or large-scale sites. As product manager, you will helps set the strategic vision for the Gatsby Cloud experience. You will partner with both internal stakeholders such as engineers, designers, sales, marketing, as well as external stakeholders.
You will have the opportunity to shape the commercial side of the business, making the already wildly-popular open source framework shine through our hosted cloud product. We need to establish ourselves as the obvious best-of-breed platform for building, deploying, and maintaining Gatsby sites at any scale.
- Determine what gets built and delivered to customers. You’ll acquire, as quickly as possible, deep knowledge of the customer, of the data, of internal stakeholders, and of the market and industry. Your job is to see the forest and the trees clearly enough to identify the product paths through it.
- Work directly with engineers to build exceptional products. You will lead the product development process from roadmap development to building, testing, and launching products on time.
- Balance multiple personas. You’ll own product for a number of different personas that are using Gatsby (content creator & editors, other marketers, execs, agencies). You’ll have to balance their needs and priorities.
- Balance the business needs and technical constraints by navigating bottlenecks, providing escalation management, and anticipating trade-offs.
- Own competitive positioning for Gatsby Cloud. The Senior Product Manager owns feature development and documentation that makes a Gatsby stack the resounding preference in web building.
- Identify and break down complex business problems into smaller solvable pieces that can be clearly communicated to all stakeholders.
- Advocate for the customer by being a champion for the user experience and having deep customer empathy.
You’ll need to hit the ground running, which means the following experience will be necessary.
- Launched products successfully as a PM in a startup environment. We’re iterating rapidly on a number of fronts, and tend to optimize for quickly getting product in the hands of users (and receiving feedback) over Platonic feature-completeness.
- Launched successful technical products. While you won’t be directly PM-ing the developer persona, a huge part of the Gatsby experience is the Gatsby CLI and suite of related tools (GraphQL, hot reloading environment, etc). A comfort with technical details is paramount — bonus points for specific knowledge about front-end development and/or CMSs.
- Great judgment. You will need to consistently manage tradeoffs and evaluate new ideas. These decisions often have a vast impact. As Amazon puts it, “leaders are right. A lot.”
- Write, speak, and think clearly. Gatsby is a distributed company and relies heavily on crisp and thorough writing. Your ability to get the right feedback and align the company will rely heavily on thoughtful synthesis of internal and external conversations and strategic planning into product documents, and clear communication to all stakeholders.
- Leverage metrics to focus on value. You have experience using data and metrics to back up assumptions and assertions of business value. You also leverage your strong analytical skills and ability to dive deep to develop a nuanced understanding of your product and customers, and to create effective strategies.
- Comfortable owning entire products. You will be managing Gatsby’s commercial product. As a product-driven company, a large proportion of whether we hit our annual revenue targets will be whether we’re able to ship enough value to our company.
- High level of curiosity. The web is an incredibly diverse place with a huge number of different communities. You’re fascinated to learn about the challenges, workflows, and hopes and dreams of a wide variety of people.
- Trustworthy. A great product manager is trusted deeply by the engineering team. Tech leads and engineering ICs feel comfortable DM-ing their product manager at any time when they run across product questions in their day-to-day work, because they can count on getting accurate, thoughtful, helpful context.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web—and a technology that enables the next billion internet users. ‘Nuff said.
- You will lead the production of one of the most highly-anticipated products in the web development space. Freelance developers and enterprise companies alike are eagerly awaiting the launch of Gatsby Cloud---and you will lead it.
- You will have an opportunity to play a huge leadership role in a high-profile, growing company. Next to the CEO, this is perhaps the most cross-functional role in the entire Gatsby organization. You’ll have the chance to influence the work of almost everyone in the company.
- You get to interact with an active, open, friendly community of developers that are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites. Their energy is often infectious, and you will leave conversations with them even more excited about Gatsby.
- Product and strategic direction can change. We’re building a whole new area of growth in an absolutely huge potential market. If we’re not changing directions relatively quickly, that would be surprising.
- You will need to ruthlessly prioritize your workflow. Because our user audience is so diverse, there’s a huge amount of potential things to do at any time. You’ll need to be comfortable with thoughtfully choosing where to focus and communicating that.
- Stakeholders are dispersed far and wide. The largest clustering of people in one place is 5 folks in our Berkeley office. We have a strong sense of identity and are very close, but if in-person interactions with a large number of people is important to you then this may not be a good fit.
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Skip the commute with remote work
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.