Now Hiring: Operations Manager
Streamline operations at an incredibly promising web framework startup!
Gatsby is an open-source, modern website framework that builds performance into every website by leveraging the latest web technologies such as React. We make it easy for developers to create fast, compelling websites without needing to become a performance expert. Gatsby is being used in production by companies like P&G, Nike, Berlitz, and McDonald’s.
The Gatsby open-source community has tens of thousands of excited developers, while our company has grown from founding to 30 people in just over a year. Executing effectively while running a dynamic, open-source-based, remote-first company is a hard, but crucial problem.
As the right hand to the COO, your overarching mission will be to ensure our whole team is effective. Your role will span analytics, recruiting, finance, legal, go-to-market operations, people operations, and partnerships.
- Type of work: Full-time
- Start date: Immediately
- Location: Gatsby HQ in downtown Berkeley, CA
On a typical day, you might be:
- Developing and promoting adoption of remote collaboration best-practices to increase team effectiveness
- Setting up dashboards and running analyses to assist product and engineering teams in tracking towards their goals
- Identifying key business drivers, bottlenecks, and opportunities, and working with stakeholders to develop and execute improvements to them
- Working with the Gatsby team and community members to identify potential superstar hires
- Bootstrapping an experimental community program to promote development on crucial features
- Analyzing real estate, software, hardware, or travel spend to reduce burn and extend runway
- You find startups fascinating. You often read articles on topics like growth, customer development, product/market fit, or demand-gen even if they aren’t part of your day-to-day job. You read Saastr, First Round Review, HN or startup Twitter. You imagine yourself doing something ambitious in 3-5 years. You may be an entrepreneur or aspiring entrepreneur. You see yourself living long-term in the startup world.
- You love making things run smoothly. You empathize with the quote that good generals study tactics, but great generals study logistics. You feel pride in keeping the trains running on time with little oversight, using imagination and drive.
- You enjoy doing new things and getting rapid feedback. You’d prefer working on ten two-day projects than one month-long project. You want to have your hands in a lot of buckets. You enjoy coming home from work and thinking, “today I learned about X”.
- Quantifying things makes them 100% more fun for you. You try to always figure out how to make what you do matter.
- You’ll be working on things that really move the needle for the whole company. Your job is literally to organize change within Gatsby.
- You’ll work every day with an enthusiastic community and an extraordinarily talented Gatsby team, including constant collaboration with the cofounders (CEO and COO).
- You’ll level up your skills in making people and processes more effective
- Your professional development will be on a high-trajectory ramp
- Having a lot of things to do at any given time will require constant prioritization and context-switching. If your sweet spot is doing a few things, narrowly-defined tasks, or following cleanly delineated workflows really well, this may not be a good fit.
- Only a small part of the Gatsby team is based in the Bay Area. We have a strong sense of identity and are very close, but if in-person interactions with a large number of people is important to you then this may not be a good fit.
We want to make sure our company values are emulated by everyone on our team, and they’re summarized below. You can see our Company Values in more detail here.
- Do the right thing when no one is looking
- Work in the open
- Set and manage clear expectations
- Go slow to go fast
- Always prioritize developer and user experience
- Embrace growth
- Experiment with cool ideas
- You (yes, YOU!) belong here
Hopefully you’ve gotten a sense of this in the “You’ll enjoy this role if…” section, but in a bit more detail:
- You’ve excelled in a challenging, professional environment over the last 3+ years
- You’re entrepreneurial and excited by the opportunities available in a young company. You thrive in an amorphous, opportunistic, high-freedom environment
- You’re driven from within and have meticulous attention to detail
- You have a natural ability to analyze information and feel at home in spreadsheets
- You’re a resourceful and flexible team-player who sees gaps as they emerge and fills them without prodding or hesitance
- You’re excited to be the first Operations hire at a rapidly growing and mission-driven technology company
- You have legal authorization to work in the U.S.
If this sounds like you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume/LinkedIn and description of why you’re interested.
We provide full-time employees with full benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage with available coverage for spouses or domestic partners and children, stock options, 401(k), generous holiday and sick paid time off, and parental leave.