Gatsby is a remote-first, community-focused team working to build a high-performance, fun to use, accessible, and astonishingly flexible presentation layer for any data source. Our core values include transparency (our work is public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
Details of the Role
- Type of Work: Full-time employee
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+0)
- Engineering Level: L5 or above (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is the future of the web, and the web is an incredibly diverse ecosystem. With 2,500+ contributors to Gatsby’s core open source repository, over 1,500 plugins, and a unique swag store rewarding contributions, Gatsby has had tremendous engagement already. Yet we’re just at day one. Some questions on our mind:”
Now we need you to help us take that to the next level.
Why this is interesting
We’re already recognized as an industry leader with our developer documentation and community and contributor engagement---which means you’ll get to define what industry-leading, truly next-generation means for these.
- Nurture and amplify community voices by helping community members do high-impact evangelism. Because Gatsby’s community is so diverse, it’s important to have a multitude of voices represented and telling authentic stories. You’ll coach community members from all over the world who are excited to share their stories, provide them with templates and materials, and amplify and highlight blog posts, meetups and conference talks through Gatsby official channels. As the company grows, you’ll build repeatable processes and programs that scale beyond your individual influence.
- Ensure our message is reaching key developer channels. As we release new features and products, there are key high-impact channels (certain conferences, podcasts, written outlets, etc) that it’s crucial our message reaches. You’ll be responsible for working with the community, team, and outlets to make sure the appropriate messages are reaching the appropriate channels at the appropriate intervals.
Design & optimize the contributor engagement experience. With 2,500+ contributors to core, over 1,500 plugins, and a unique swag store rewarding contributions, Gatsby has had tremendous engagement already. Yet we’re just at day one. Some questions on our mind:
- How do we nurture contributors to make 10+ contributions instead of1-2?
- How do we recognize agencies and company contributions like in Drupal and build out an ecosystem of commercial contributors?
- Help scale our amazing documentation experience. You’ll work closely with the Learning (documentation) team. Building on the web is an incredibly large surface area, and the learning team is currently tackling this on a workflow-by-workflow basis. There’s a huge gulf between lead-gen content ala DigitalOcean and a carefully curated experience. We’ve built the latter, at least for several areas---we want the entire experience to be this way.
- Reduce friction in the Gatsby onboarding experience. The ultimate goal of Gatsby’s documentation & other materials is to create a top-notch onboarding experience. That means careful thought and methodical work to reduce points of friction. Your business goal here is to make the onboarding experience both as lightweight and rich as humanly possible.
Experience you should have
- Experience building and growing developer relations or community teams. You intuitively know how to recognize, recruit, and nurture the unique folks that make great DevRels. You also know how to align their talent with the needs and goals of the company.
- Experience in the modern frontend ecosystem and web world. Gatsby is built on the shoulders of giants---technologies like Node.js, GraphQL, React, webpack, and Babel. We’re changing how the web works.
- History of getting things done in dynamic and fast-growing environments. There’s a huge amount of greenfield in front of us. You’ll need a combination of willingness to experiment, fingertip feeling for Gatsby users, and a robust quantitative skillset to lead the team towards consistently shipping work with measurable impact.
- Experience building out top-flight documentation and onboarding experiences. Our learning and documentation is essentially onboarding to Gatsby, and we want to make. You should have a history of thinking about how to craft really top-notch technical documentation and top-flight, minimal-friction onboarding experiences.
- Top-notch written and verbal communication skills. You should have a demonstrated history of communicating complex technical ideas through writing and presenting at conferences and on podcasts.
The best parts of this job
- You’ll be at the cutting edge of community engagement and defining best practices in the 21st century.
- This is an incredibly public-facing role, yet one that also has internal, business-critical impact.
- You’ll shape the growth of an active, open, friendly community of developers that are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites.
- You’ll lead in a safe, open environment of talented engineers who have a broad range of experience.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web---and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
This role might not be for you if…
- You want to be the face of Gatsby. This role is incredibly external facing, so you will be one of the faces of Gatsby. However, your focus will and should be cultivating and elevating the many diverse voices that make up our community.
- You’re looking for a role that is primarily about speaking at conferences. Many DevRel roles involve lots of travel and conference speaking. Interestingly, this role doesn’t! We’ve found that the highest-impact work we do at Gatsby either (1) involve amplifying the voices of the community, as well as (2) high-bang-for-your-buck channels like podcasts.
- You want to be co-located with a large team/company. The largest clustering of people in one place is 5 folks in our Berkeley office. We have a strong sense of identity and are very close, but if in-person interactions with a large number of people is important to you then this may not be a good fit.
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- Skip the commute with remote work
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Our Hiring Process
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.