Gatsby is a remote-first company working to make the web fast for everyone and fun for developers. We want Gatsby to be the perfect tool for web developers to build any kind of website.
We’re currently hiring a Cloud Services Engineer to help build out our Gatsby Cloud platform.
The Gatsby Cloud team is creating a cloud-based platform for preview, compiling and deploying Gatsby websites.
Over the next year, your projects will include:
- Helping to architect and build a cloud-native Preview and Build system using Kubernetes, Kafka, Node.js, and Google Cloud
- Implement caching support and other optimizations to enable incremental builds
- Help design and implement features including live previews of incremental builds and automated deploys of generated files to a CDN
- Converting a single-threaded, slow-ish build process to a parallelized, super-fast build process
- You’re excited by solving hard problems at scale
- You’re familiar with concepts like redundancy, high availability, and horizontal scaling
- You design systems with collaboration and maintainability in mind
- You have battle scars from working on distributed systems
- You don’t mind making things up a bit as you go along
We’re creating something new, which means a lot of room for autonomy, collaboration, and experimentation. You can work from anywhere in the world, and you’ll be measured on output, not hours. You’ll have access to a small, motivated team of really smart people (at least that’s how we describe ourselves), and get in on the ground floor of a promising new startup.
Much of what we’re building is unique or at least rare — there may be fewer clear patterns about how to proceed than in other roles you’ve had. Meanwhile, the software you write will play a large part in determining the fate of the company. We’re a startup, and we’re still learning, so there will likely be adjustments to our direction and strategy as we grow, learn, and experiment with the company’s goals and processes.
- Experience building distributed systems
- Comfort with giving and receiving constructive, honest feedback
- Experience building an end-to-end solution
- Passionate about your work
- Ability to make pragmatic decisions with regards to cost vs quality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building IaaS or PaaS from the ground up
- Experience with some or all of the particular tech stack we’re using
- Experience with build systems, bundlers or compilers like Webpack, Metro, or Bazel
Gatsby is a remote-first, community-focused team working to build a high-performance, fun to use, astonishingly flexible presentation layer for any data source. Our core values include transparency (we work in public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
We provide full-time employees with full benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage with available coverage for spouses or domestic partners and children, 401(k), generous holiday and sick paid time off, and parental leave.
The longer version, with some legal language: we offer equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. We don’t tolerate or ignore harassment: anyone at our company who violates our code of conduct will be disciplined and/or terminated.
Please send your resume (or LinkedIn) and any relevant work (GitHub, a portfolio, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Cloud Services Engineer.