Now Hiring: Lead Product Designer / Head of Product Design
We are looking for a Lead Product Designer to shape a unified Gatsby product experience. Join us in our mission to make website development fun by making it simple.
this job posting has been closed for now
Gatsby is a remote-first, community-focused team working to build a high-performance, fun to use, accessible, and astonishingly flexible presentation layer for any data source. Our core values include transparency (our work is public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
Details of the Role
- Type of Work: Full-time employee
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+0)
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is the future of the web and the web is an incredibly diverse ecosystem. This means we’re building out a whole host of messages and products tailored to the diverse use cases and personas across the web. You’ll need to mind-meld with the personas of current & future Gatsby users in order to design top-notch experiences, as well as help keep a consistent brand image across multiplying properties.
Why this is interesting
Gatsby is used by cutting-edge developers to create beautiful sites. We’ve established a playful visual identity and a best-in-class developer experience through our web properties, cloud applications, and open-source repository. You’ll have the opportunity to take product experience to the next level!
- Create a delightful experience for every Gatsby persona. We have a number of different personas that interact with Gatsby in different ways—developers through the CLI and related tools, contributors through the open-source repository, and marketers and content collaborators through Gatsby Preview and Gatsby Cloud. Soon this will include agencies, educators, vendor partners, designers, and other personas. Design at Gatsby means facilitating a delightful experience for each user.
- Define high-quality design from end to end. Design at Gatsby spans conception to post-launch: product discovery, holistic user experience design, mapping user flows, prototyping and shipping information, interaction, and visual design. Plus, you’ll be collaborating with engineering as necessary during the building process. You’ll be involved in every step of that process, as well as defining quality standards and how designers interact with product & engineering.
- Build, lead, and grow the design team. When you come on board, our design team will number 3—but our product and engineering team will be doubling each of the next two years and we need design to grow alongside as a partner. You’ll be responsible for making sure each product designer is on track for personal and career growth, as well as serve as a partner for the eng team & product manager they’re working alongside.
- Help shape a unified user experience across a growing number of properties. We’ll be launching a number of products & user flows soon—a Gatsby Desktop app, an expanded “five-minute install”, marketing collaboration tooling, configurable deployment pipelines, potentially a drag-and-drop site building experience—in covering more and more of the ground traditionally occupied by content management systems. You’ll need to make sure these products all play nicely together.
This might be you if you…
- Have experience designing a highly technical product. A huge part of the Gatsby experience is the Gatsby CLI and suite of related tools (GraphiQL IDE, hot reloading environment). You should have experience designing for developers—bonus points if you are or used to be one!
- Have a history of getting things done in dynamic and fast-growing environments. There’s a huge amount of greenfield in front of us. You’ll need the ability to design for both developers and business users to lead the team towards consistently shipping impactful work.
- Have experience leading, nurturing and growing design teams, ideally for enterprise/SaaS/technical software. You intuitively know how to recognize, recruit, and nurture the unique folks that make great product designers. You know how to align their talent with the needs and goals of the company.
- Love distilling complexity into simple designs.
- Write copy that is human, clear and concise.
The best parts of this job
- We’ve already established a unique aesthetic & reputation for shipping great experiences. You’ll get to build on this, and your designs will serve as a role model to the community.
- This is an incredibly public-facing role, yet one that also has internal, business-critical impact.
- You’ll be shaping the growth of an active, open, friendly community of developers that are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites.
- You’ll be leading in a safe, open environment of talented engineers who have a broad range of experience.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web—and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
- We’ll be adding first-class support for design-as-code tooling (think Modulz) and other tools that embed designers in the heart of development. Your work on these game-changing tools will help the whole industry move forward!
This might not be the right fit if…
- You’re uncomfortable designing a developer experience. The developer experience using the Gatsby CLI is a huge part of the Gatsby. This role will be responsible for owning that experience. Design for a command-line tool is a really interesting project, and also odd and requiring a unique skillset!
- You want to be co-located with a large team/company. The largest clustering of people in one place is 5 folks in a Berkeley, CA office. We have a strong sense of identity and are very close, but if in-person interactions with a large number of people is important to you then this may not be a good fit.
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Skip the commute with remote work
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Our Hiring Process
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.