Now Hiring: Staff Systems Engineer, Cloud
We are looking for a staff software engineer to help us build and run our infrastructure at scale.
Named as a Rising Star on the 2019 Forbes 100 Cloud List, Gatsby has quickly grown to be one of the biggest and most exciting open source projects on the web. It aims to build a high-performance, fun to use, accessible, and astonishingly flexible presentation layer for any data source.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include transparency (we work in public most of the time); creating a safe, high-trust team; building incredible developer experiences; maintaining a healthy working environment; and helping deliver web experiences that feel amazing to use on every device and connection type.
- Type of work: Full time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+0)
- Engineering Level: L5 or above (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
As a member of the growing Cloud Team, you will work closely with the rest of our engineering and product teams to turn ideas into tangible products. Specifically, we want to build products that make our user’s projects easier to manage, scale, and improve. Your leadership in creating and maintaining a range of high-performing systems will be fundamental in moving Gatsby’s Cloud platform forward.
- Work on a range of tools, infrastructure and services - new and existing - with an aim to elegantly and efficiently solve problems and deliver practical, maintainable and scalable solutions.
- Gather requirements, architect and design, vet, build, develop and manage complex automations and/or interactions between solutions.
- Create and maintain cloud environments and deployment templates to support implementation and deployment conversations
- Mentor and develop your team. As an experienced member of the team you’ll coach and guide less experienced members of the team, contribute to the code review process, and help set and maintain a culture of quality throughout the development process
- Create and support improvements to product APIs to improve development and integration of tools and plugins.
- Perform performance analysis, proactive troubleshooting, continual improvement, and capacity planning.
- Ability to knowledgeably discuss design and performance tradeoffs in complex systems. You’ve done the work and know a thing or two about a thing or two. Making the right trade-offs and helping to enable our future selves to ship and ship often will be key to our long-term engineering success.
- Experience building APIs for other software engineers. We primarily use GraphQL, but welcome applications with strong general API design skills.
- Experience working with distributed systems and service oriented architectures - particularly in a team setting.
- **Exhibited ownership in your work, including research and understanding of the problem space, collaborating with the team to come up with solutions, proactively communicating your progress to the team, and shipping the feature over the finish line.
- Battle scars running internet-facing, production systems. Operational knowledge of Linux, HTTP, and the ability to troubleshoot problems anywhere across the stack.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems. You may not deeply understand Kubernetes, but you’ve likely worked on a project that used it or at least a scalability You may know your way around kubectl.
- You’ve used GraphQL before. You may have experimented a bit with GraphQL on a personal toy project. We use GraphQL heavily at Gatsby and Gatsby Cloud, so it’s a plus to have some level of familiarity.
- You’re on the cutting edge of platform engineering. You’ll acquire and gain a deep understanding of working with Kubernetes and Elastic Cloud.
- An incredible team to learn from and mentor. From domain experts to incredibly talented early-career developers, the Gatsby Cloud Team is a team that you will be challenged by and that you will challenge. It’s a team that will reward your hard work by shipping incredible features more quickly than you thought possible. A team that wants you to thrive here and can’t wait to see what you can do.
- Challenging technical problems. Scaling, container orchestration, running untrusted code at scale. These challenging engineering endeavors and problems are complex, but rewarding and oh so fun.
- You’ll have to shift context. You may necessarily have to shift context and dive into a different feature before the current one is done. It may even be in an area of the code base you’re unfamiliar with or don’t have a ton of understanding about.
- You’ll need to work quickly, without sacrificing quality. We ship. Early, often, and quickly. You may not be initially comfortable with the cadence we ship features and improvements to end users.
*3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- Skip the commute with remote work
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Gatsby Sabbatical: 4 weeks of paid vacation after 4 years tenure
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.