Gatsby Web Creators
A free online series for learning web development fundamentals - Fridays at 1pm ET/10am PT
The only prerequisites for this series are a sense of curiosity, and a desire to tinker, as well as a computer with an internet connection. The majority of these lessons will include live examples on Glitch, a colorful tool for creating web apps and building a community. Glitch projects can be remixed and added to collections, and it provides automatic URLs for each project so viewers can create and share their own webpages with ease.
Anyone can join this series by going to our Twitch page at the specified times (Fri. at 1pm-2pm ET / 10am-11am PT). Note: you don’t have to have a Twitch account to watch the streams.
For those who want to get involved, there will be Glitch projects with source code available for everyone to remix each week: check this page for updates. Live chat will also be available on the Twitch platform.
Gatsby Web Creators streams take place live on Fridays at 1pm ET/10am PT.
Here’s the rough schedule for this second series of Gatsby Web Creators:
- YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrzv7l9vsI
- YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiilkXCDNPs
- Glitch project: https://glitch.com/~gatsbywc-week7-interactive-api-ui
- GitHub files: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/tree/master/week7-interactive-api-ui
- Glitch project: https://glitch.com/edit/#!/gatsbywc-week8-nodejs
- GitHub files: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/tree/master/week8-nodejs
Introducing the series, we’ll talk about the most fundamental part of the Web Platform, HTML (a.k.a. HyperText Markup Language). We’ll explain the building blocks of HTML, including how to create different kinds of elements, add your favorite content, and link pages together.
- Day 1 YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYEUSsemDeI
- Day 1 Glitch project: https://glitch.com/~gatsbywc-week1-day1
- Day 1 GitHub files (alternative to Glitch): https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/tree/master/week1-day1
- Day 2 YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCz6nFoPLzQ
- Day 2 Glitch project: https://glitch.com/~gatsbywc-week1-day2
- Day 2 GitHub files: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/blob/master/week1-day2
We started building with HTML, and this week is all about making it our own with style. CSS, which stands for Cascading Style Sheets, is a powerful styling language used on nearly every website. We’ll talk about how CSS works, and how we can style our content pages from the previous week using colors, backgrounds, fonts, and more.
- Week 2 YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE1eddvsGms
- Week 2 Glitch project: https://glitch.com/~gatsbywc-week2-css
- Week 2 GitHub files: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/tree/master/week2-intro-to-css
In week three, we’ll dive deeper into CSS with the basics of CSS layout and positioning. We’ll take an existing page and change it enough to create a totally different layout.
- Week 3 YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln8Xc6oqBTA
- Week 3 Glitch project: https://glitch.com/~gatsbywc-week3-layout
- Week 3 GitHub files: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/tree/master/week3-css-layout
In week four we’ll continue learning about CSS magic using transitions and animation. We’ll live code how to approach building a responsive website using media queries, including how to build a modern site by breaking it down into tasks: a meta skill that will serve viewers for years to come.
- Week 4 YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5VGil-nNPs
- Week 4 Glitch project: https://glitch.com/~gatsbywc-week4-animation
- Week 4 GitHub files: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/tree/master/week4-css-animation
- Week 5 YouTube video: (coming soon)
- Week 5 Glitch Project: https://glitch.com/edit/#!/gatsbywc-week5-intro-js-dom
- Week 5 GitHub files: https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby-web-creators/tree/master/week5-intro-js-dom
Glitch: Users have to be 13 or older to create an account. Anyone can remix a Project on Glitch without creating an account, but to save it and use most other functionality will require an account. You can read more on their legal page: https://glitch.com/legal/
Twitch: Anyone can view a Twitch stream without creating an account. Legally, the Twitch Services including chat are not available to persons under the age of 13. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18 (or between 13 and the age of legal majority in your jurisdiction of residence), you may only use the Twitch Services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by their Terms of Service. More information can be found on their website: https://www.twitch.tv/p/legal/terms-of-service/