To celebrate the stable release of Gatsby Themes, we launched the Gatsby Theme Jam contest. To enter the contest, create your own Gatsby Theme and submit it to the Theme Jam website by July 31st, 2019. Everyone who enters the contest will get a limited-edition Gatsby Theme Jam mug or t-shirt, and two winners will be selected to win a trip to the Gatsby Days event of their choosing.
What are Gatsby Themes?
Gatsby Themes are pre-built, installable packages for setting up a site’s default styling, components, plugins, and overall configuration that can be reused across multiple Gatsby sites. They’re a great way to simplify the early steps of configuring a new site; and, when it’s time to update your site’s styling or functionality, you only have to edit your theme or swap it out entirely with another compatible theme. You can find a more detailed explanation in the Themes section of Gatsby’s documentation.
How to build your Gatsby theme
If you’re planning to build a theme for the contest, you may want to start with this Gatsby Theme Jam Submission Example repository. You can build a child theme of an existing Gatsby theme (e.g. the blog theme or notes theme) with updated styling or added functionality, for example, or it can be a completely new theme.
Here are some resources with detailed instructions on how to build a Gatsby theme:
- “Building Themes” – Gatsby Documentation
- “Gatsby Theme Authoring” – free course on Egghead.io
- “Building your first Gatsby theme (with Emma Wedekind)” – Learn with Jason
How to enter the Theme Jam Contest
To enter the Theme Jam Contest, you will need to…
- Review your theme against the Theme Jam Submission Checklist.
- Complete and submit your entry through the Theme Jam Contest Submission form by Wednesday, July 31st at 11:59pm Pacific time. Your Theme Jam submission will need to include links to its repository on GitHub, the npm package, and a demo site.
Submissions will be judged on a range of criteria including code quality and legibility, accessibility, performance, documentation, and creativity.
Review the complete list of contest rules and other details by visiting themejam.gatsbyjs.org/.