Why use Drupal + Gatsby together?
Kyle Mathews is presenting on “Gatsby + Drupal” at Decoupled Drupal Days NYC this Saturday; for those who can’t make it to his presentation, we wanted to give you a sneak peek of what it will be about.
(Hint: it’s about how nicely Gatsby and Drupal work together!)
Take a look at the source code of the official Gatsby + Drupal example site or see it live. Gatsby co-founder, Kyle Mathews, has a long history with Drupal and built this example site in Gatsby’s early days:
A delicious Gatsby + Drupal site
Using Drupal as a headless CMS with Gatsby is a great way to get an enterprise-quality CMS for free, paired with a great modern development experience and all the benefits of the JAMstack, like performance, scalability, and security.
It only takes a few steps to use Gatsby with Drupal as a headless CMS (also known as decoupled Drupal).
How to implement Drupal + Gatsby
Hooking up Gatsby to a new or existing Drupal site takes just a few steps:
- Add the
gatsby-source-drupalplugin to your Gatsby site
- Configure the plugin with your Drupal credentials & hosted URL
- Access all your Drupal data using GraphQL queries
Why use Gatsby and Drupal together?
“Decoupled Drupal” has become an increasingly popular approach to building enterprise-grade websites, and has the full-throated support of Drupal community leaders. Using Gatsby in a decoupled Drupal setup allows your team to access the powerful content modeling and access workflow capabilities of Drupal 8, as well as the powerful UI creation & performance toolset of Gatsby.
When is Drupal a great choice?
Many development teams, content teams, and client decision-makers are familiar with Drupal. Here are some scenarios in which Drupal is a great choice (and a few scenarios for which it’s not-so-great):
Drupal is great for:
- Complex page layouts or content modelling with multiple sections per page
- Teams with multi-stage content creation and review processes
- Development teams who value using popular, open-source technologies
Drupal is not-so-great for:
- Content teams who require a slick content editing experience
- Teams requiring the use of Drupal UI Kit
Interested in learning more?
Using Gatsby together with Drupal offers a powerful, full-featured, open-source, and free alternative for expensive enterprise content management systems. To learn more:
- Read a Drupal agency’s introduction to Gatsby
- Watch Kyle Mathews’ presentation on Gatsby + Drupal
- Get started with Robert Ngo’s Decoupling Drupal with Gatsby tutorial and watch his Evolving Web 2018 Drupal conference presentation.
- Get in touch with the team